Forced net_port still showing server on incorrect port...

Server help and announcements

Moderator: Blaze

Forced net_port still showing server on incorrect port...

Postby Mandalore » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Alright so I'm in the midst of setting up a Canadian Reaction server and everything has gone smooth in getting it working thanks to rq3 team and putting up a well doc'd manual. Only problem is, the only time I can see the server broadcast to the internet is when I set the +set net_port 27960 ( binds by default I know) I can get the server listed in the game either by local/internet. Where its confusing the crap outta me is that on the local end its 27960 when I check from internet its some random port thats like 63111 or 62445 which is breaking my heart because I've tried everything it seems.

Target Line:
+set fs_game rq3 +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 192.168.0.104 +set net_port 27960 +exec rq3server.cfg

Router: DI-624 (firmware 2.76 latest)
All quake 3 ports have been setup either in applications for allowing communication or on the virtual server page for my server to be seen.

Screenshot of Virtual Server:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... 5s&thumb=4

I do believe its a router issue or windows xp since people can connect as long as they know the random port the server sets itself on. I've been using same machine for setting up dedicated and connecting (temporarily) but I don't think it would cause the issue as both are connected on different ports (27960 for server and 27961 for client). I also query the server from gametiger.net which reports the server is broadcasting to master list but also on the wrong damn port!! argh! Server Console reports either localhost:27960 with my internal ip just like it should or I may use target line +set net_ip 192.168.0.104 to force just incase but still not reporting correct port when you query it. I've tried literally setting up my entire network over again with no luck.....tried reinstalling a fresh copy of q3 with the mod with no success. And reformatting and resintalling XP is just not an option at this time for me. I've googled around and other people have reported same issue but havn't come across any working solutions.

I'd much appreciate some peoples input and if you need any more info just ask i'll be around.
"The most incomprehensible thing in the universe is that it can be comprehended" Albert E.
Mandalore
Bacon Factory

Postby zippy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:52 pm

well it's down to your router, the port redirect seems correct but the fact that you say it's using a random port and people can connect if they are given it is a bit odd. The router should only port forward what you tell it to.

Sorry but I don't know the router you're using so I've no idea if it's stateful or is doing some form of PAT by default. To eliminate the XP box from the equation ( personally I don't think it's XP unless you are running a firewall of some sort on it, you're not are you??) download wireshark http://www.wireshark.org and do a packet capture with the RQ3 server running, you should then be able to look at the capture and see what port is being used. If you don't know how, or can't work out the capture, then post it and I'll look through.

As I said I don't know your router so I assume that the 27960/27960 indicates internal port/External port can you confirm this.

Stick with it we WILL get it sorted :)
zippy
Bacon Factory

Here it is.

Postby Mandalore » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:50 am

Hey, did the pack cap. Reminds me of Ethereal I think it was when I did a little pack capturing in school. Anyways, I really don't know what to make of all it but it appears the DST port is listing as the random port numbers which I don't think is good. I do also get an error as seen in PIC2 that the port 27951 is unreachable on ICMP which I believe is one of the ports for master server list. Not sure if that error is normal. Could it be that its expecting a TCP packet and not UDP so it gives that general error? Anyways hope this is what u were looking for. If you need more or an actual export of the log just ask. Also if you notice zonealarm running in my tray it aint the problem as I have been testing without it installed or completely disabled. Just trying it out for a few days to see if its a decent program. Any help is much appreciated.

PIC1:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... m5&thumb=4

PIC2:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... tz&thumb=4
"The most incomprehensible thing in the universe is that it can be comprehended" Albert E.
Mandalore
Bacon Factory

Postby zippy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:39 am

Somewhere in a dim dark dusty alcove of my memory there is something about the way the master servers decide if your server is alive. I'm going to have to go read/ask about it to get back up to speed but we'll sort it.

Maybe Zak would like to offer suggestions as he's way more up to speed about how everything talks
zippy
Bacon Factory

Postby Mandalore » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:31 am

The more I look at it and see that its setup right the more I'm thinking its just my POS router. Like lets not beat around the bush here its a generic router thats a DI, and DI series with my experiences have never been reliable. When I get some more time from work I am gonna try a direct connection to my modem and see if it shows up correctly. Don't know why I never did that before...... anyways wish me luck :P

Also Zippy, I notice your more around when its about 4am my time. (eastern). I work retarded late shifts a lot until 2 - 3am so if your up we should jam in your server around that time I'm always up till like 5am.
Mandalore
Bacon Factory

Postby zippy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 pm

I always like to get o the bottom of things so please try the following
open your rq3.cfg file and find these lines near the bottom

// add up to 4 additional master servers to report to
seta sv_master4 "q3master.reactionquake3.com"
seta sv_master3 "q3master.gamesinferno.com"
seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com"
seta sv_master1 "master3.idsoftware.com"

alter it to the following

// add up to 4 additional master servers to report to
seta sv_master4 "q3master.reactionquake3.com"
seta sv_master3 "q3master.gamesinferno.com"
seta sv_master2 "master0.gamespy.com"
//seta sv_master1 "master3.idsoftware.com"
seta svmaster1 "80.46.101.88"

save file and start a public server

I've put a master server up because I think it's the response going back to you from the master server that is going unanswered and therefor your server is not getting registered, this will let me log the process and hopefully provide a fix.

I'm in the UK so I tend to be on about 19:00 BST week nights and all sort of times at the weekend
zippy
Bacon Factory

Postby Mandalore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 am

Not sure if you noticed me registering on ur master or not a 3 to 5 days ago, I did try what you suggested but still no go. Been busy with work still so can't do the direct access yet either to eliminate the router. But got a birthday and nice 3 day long weekend coming up on the 1st of the month so as long as I'm not incapacitated the whole time I should be able to get it going I hope.
Mandalore
Bacon Factory

Postby zippy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Kept meaning to post a response but I've been busy with some FreeBSD stuff, my bad sorry.

Nope nothing in my logs, not a sign that your system attempted to register, so something is off at your end.
zippy
Bacon Factory

Return to Distribution